India will observe 76th Independence day on August 15, 2022. To mark 75 years of freedom from British Rule, Prime Minister Narendra Modi introduced ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebration for which began in March final yr.
August 15 is a celebration of unity, freedom and Indianness. It’s also the day we keep in mind, acknowledge and pay tribute to hundreds of freedom fighters who sacrificed their lives for a greater, British free India. Amongst among the most well-known freedom fighters is Sardar Bhagat Singh, who was hanged at a younger age of 23 for his position within the revolt in opposition to the British Raj.
Forward of the 76th Independence day, listed here are some details about Bhagat Singh that college college students ought to know. They’ll use it for an Independence day speech or quiz:
- Bhagat Singh was born on September 27, 1907 in Lyallpur district of British India (now in Pakistan) to Kishan Singh and Vidyavati. He was born in a household that had a legacy of involvement within the freedom battle.
- Bhagat did his education at Dayanand Anglo-Vedic Excessive Faculty after which went on to check at Nationwide School in Lahore.
- In his early days, Bhagat Singh was a follower of the beliefs of non-violence popularized by Mahatma Gandhi.
- Singh was a follower and admirer of Marxism and was impressed by writings of Vlaimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky and Mikhail Bakunin.
- In March 1926, he based the Naujawan Bharat Sabha, a socialist group with the intention to overthrow British rule in India. In 1927, he was arrested and was charged with involvement in Lahore bombing case that befell in 1926. He was launched after 5 weeks.
- In 1928, he fashioned the Hindustan Republican Affiliation (HRA), which later turned Hindustan Socialist Republican Military (HSRA). Revolutionaries like Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfaqullah Khan and Chandrashekhar Azad have been additionally a part of it.
- In 1928, a protest march led by freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai in opposition to the British’s Simon Fee in Lahore, got here below baton cost by the police wherein Rai was severely injured and later handed away. Singh, together with HSRA members Sukhdev, Rajguru and Chandrashekhar Azad, drew up a plan to kill police superintendent James Scott and avenge Rai’s loss of life.
- On December 17, 1928, they executed their plan on the district police headquarters in Lahore however they later realized that as a substitute of James Scott, they’ve mistakenly killed Scott’s assistant John P Saunders.
- Impressed by the French anarchist Auguste Vaillant, who had bombed the Chamber of Deputies in 1893, Singh drew up a plan to oppose the Public Security Invoice and Commerce Dispute Invoice within the Central Legislative Meeting. On April 8, 1929, Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt threw bombs within the Meeting. They intend solely to scare British and to not kill anybody however nonetheless, some members have been injured. After throwing the bombs, Singh and Dutt didn’t ran away and stood there shouting ‘Inquilab Zindabad.’ They have been arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Singh was shifted from a Delhi jail to Mianwali the place he and his co-prisoners protested in opposition to discrimination between Indian and European prisoners, sat on a starvation strike demanding higher meals, books, newspapers and so forth on the grounds that they have been political prisoners, not criminals.
- On March 23, 1931, Singh was executed together with Rajguru and Sukhdev. March 23 is noticed as ‘Shaheed Diwas’ to pay tribute to the trio.